Steph O's Blog

Sharing words God has taught me on this crazy journey through life, hoping they can shed light to your path!

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path"
- Psalm 119:105 (KJV)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Santa Paws?

If you know me, you know that I'm not much of an animal person. Or a TV watcher. I would shrug at the movie title "The Search for Santa Paws". But yesterday, I was on Thanksgiving break, and Mom was flipping channels... and she left it on abcfamily "9 days until 25 days of Christmas" (a little excessive?) just long enough for me to get hooked. :)

Sooo I don't know if I was in an especially emotional mood or what, but this silly Christmas movie touched my heart. (*Spoiler alert*!) I missed the beginning, but a husband and wife were somewhat-unwillingly keeping the grandfather's Christmas toy store open after the grandfather passed away; meanwhile some little girls are in a foster home with an evil mom who does not permit any toys or singing or Christmas cheer. ... Santa and his puppy Paws start their Christmas trip but Santa gets hit by a taxi and loses his memory. A homeless man named Gus steals his "magic crystal" that keeps him alive and magical. Paws runs to find help and ends up at the foster home, but the evil mom steals his "magic crystal" and plans to get rid of him. Without the crystals, Santa starts to decline in health and Paws turns back into a stuffed animal. Santa applies for a job as the store Santa at the Christmas toy store, and the kids love how genuine he is. Soon ALL the people involved help restore Santa and Paws. (Wow, this sounds more lame as I start talking about it).

The parts that stuck out to me were the simple things, the random acts of kindness, taking risks for the sake of others, humble heartfelt sadness... and sooo many parallels to the Bible. :) The older girl in the foster home got blamed for everything, and she said to Quinn, "You'll probably get adopted soon. They don't want older ones like me." *Tear* And the husband at the toy store wondered how Santa didn't get tired of aaalll those kids coming into the store, and he said that their joy is the heart of Christmas spirit. He suggested that with every $100 spent at the store, a free gift would be given to a child in need. :) AND they said that the "heart of Christmas spirit is love and kindness". AND the end is sooo cute I don't want to spoil it.

But mostly- the connections to the Truth through Christ are what caught me up. Quinn, this little girl, constantly talked about how they have to believe in Christmas spirit, (not just Santa himself). They could only hear the dogs speak words when they believed. Sound familiar?

2 Corinthians 3:14
"But their minds were made dull, for to this day, the same veil remains when the Old Covenant (laws) is read...only in Christ is it taken away."


and

4:4
"The god of this age [Satan] has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the Gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."


and

Luke 24:45
"Then [Jesus] opened [the disciples'] minds so they could understand the Scriptures."


We can't truly understand the Bible, especially the Old Testament laws and prophecies, until the Holy Spirit opens our eyes to Christ's Presence and our need for Him. If we think that all we need to do to be saved forever is follow all the OT laws, ... that is only the devil blinding us to the Truth that we are imperfect, broken, and need a Perfect Savior, Jesus, to take our place and redeem us. :)

Also in the story - the dog was willing to die to restore Santa to health and full life again. OK seriously --- selflessness is soooooo beautiful! It always hits our hearts. Wonder why? It's totally of God. It's what Jesus did. It's a trait we should imitate, a way of God. Mmm. :) God should get all the credit for every good thing in life, not us. James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

In addition, when there was a need, (saving Santa and Paws), the WHOLE community of "believers" (believers in "Christmas spirit") joined together to help out in whatever way they could (using their individual "spiritual" gifts? ;), and they all ended up better people for it. They rejoiced together in the end.

Finally! When Santa and Paws were restored to health and their sleigh and everything, they couldn't stay in New York with the family and foster kids and everyone --- they had to go finish their task (Christmas gift-giving) and return to their eternal home in the North Pole. Huh???? :D Jesus had to ascend to heaven, but the Holy SPIRIT ("Christmas spirit";) remains with us until we join Him and everyone together in our eternal home (North Pole??? ha. Heaven. :) with all the believers FOREVER. Sooo cool.


* * * :) I get excited over simple things, I know. But I've wondered to myself about how Christmas has gotten so commercialized and if it would be right to tell my future kids about Santa or not... but I'm glad that these Biblical Truths can shine through all of that. Think about the idea of Santa in general -- He knows your every thought and action, He gives you gifts (although it's more of a reward if you do what's right and get on the nice list... which is not Biblical) but I guess you also only get gifts if you believe! :) etc. I just find connections so fascinating. :) Happy Christmas! ... oh wait, Thanksgiving is first. Silly abcfamily ;)

1 comment:

  1. I would really like to see this movie now and I LOVE to find parallels between movies/books and the Bible! I think its so cool!

    I'm really happy that you do a blog stephanie, it made me laugh and it encourages me :)

    ReplyDelete