What an incredible night at Riverside last night. We counselors are in our first week of training, and last night we had Bible Study, worship with communion, and share time right in a row in the chapel. It was awe-mazing. God is at work here, equipping us to lead campers in Christ's love this summer, as long as we are willing to surrender to His plans and purpose for us this summer.
Our theme is Restored, Psalm 80:3, and my goodness is that what our hearts needed to hear! Wherever you are broken or hurt or feeling guilt, God can and will restore you to the person you were created to be if you let Him in. (Rev 3:20 comes to mind)
So here's what opened my heart the most: this past year I've been involved in campus ministries and really focused on sharing the Gospel. I sometimes put too much stress on myself to start spiritual conversations with friends and be a good Bible study leader...and, and... Little did I know, I was making it legalistic and about what I could do for God, rather than how God was working. Most importantly, I was underestimating the power of Christ's LOVE. What changed my heart at Riverside in 8th grade? A convincing argument? I thought I knew it all, I was like a Pharisee- what I needed was the grace, the unconditional love that only Christ can offer us. My counselors showed me such love that brought tears to my eyes and awe of God to my heart. Words of truth are essential, don't get me wrong. Scripture is life-giving, but you cant change someone's heart without love. And I can't change anyone's heart- I need to surrender to Christ and let Him live through. :) Amen! In John 8, Jesus loved the adulterous woman, not judged her, and then He followed it up with words of Truth- "Go and sin no more.". But it starts with love. It's not of this world- people will notice.
Also- love on others, don't judge them- more on this later -- I'm learning a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment