Steph O's Blog

Sharing words God has taught me on this crazy journey through life, hoping they can shed light to your path!

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path"
- Psalm 119:105 (KJV)

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Relax and Eye Contact (Golf, Music, Life)

You know what's kind of frustrating? When you're under pressure to do something really well, it often doesn't work out, but when you're just having fun while no one's watching, you do great! On Saturday, I went golfing for the first time this year. I had super low expectations for how well I would play, because I knew it was my first time out, and it was just for practice, just for fun with the fam, anyway. I shot 44 on 9 holes. Obviously no professional, but not bad at all for me!! I had a couple drives over 200 yards! I haven't practiced in a year - how did this happen? Monday I shot 45. (Then today when I was subconsciously trying to keep up with my bro, I did worse and shot 52). I started learning how to golf in early elementary school. I always felt bombarded by techniques and things I needed to think about: right hand over left, bend your knees, keep your eye on the ball, slow down your back swing, line up the ball with your left heel, choke up, don't mix it up with softball, bend your elbows at just the right time, don't stand too close to the ball, don't slice it, don't lean into it too much, follow through!.....the list goes on. In high school, I took a few private lessons - and it was revolutionary. It changed the way I thought about golf! Why? He started by giving no tips. "Take a swing." Then he would take hold of my club and lightly push it toward me so I would realize how much tension I built up in my arms. "Relax your arms." He gave me occasional tips, but mostly, he had me get soo many reps in of simply swinging the club comfortably. He adjusted my hand position a little, but he didn't give me time to overthink it - I just kept hitting more and more golf balls. During lessons, I hit way better than in golf meets. I still often got nervous and messed up things that I didn't usually. Oh, and whenever I would mess up a lot and get mad, trying hard to fix the problem, then it was a continuous downward cycle. Golf is such a mental game - being relaxed, happy, and carefree make the world go 'round ... or the ball fly, I guess. :) The only thing I really need to think about is keeping my eye on the ball. Then, I've practiced enough (at this point) that the rest will work on its own. I just need to stay out of the way. Same goes for playing the clarinet. I've been playing for 10 years, but I sometimes still get caught up when I work too hard -- I usually tighten my embouchure (mouth) and tense my fingers. When I try to think about and perfect too many things at once, (drop your jaw, say "pruuune", high tongue, move your fingers from the first knuckle only, breathe low, relax your lips a little, continuous air), ... I just end up tensing up and doing worse than when I started. (if I try to think about ALL those things at once). I do way better when I just play; when I relax everything except my strong airflow and let the air do the work. I still have to focus on the music, but I trust the sound-producing mechanisms without overly trying to control them. Relax and Eye Contact. Those two are enough! You know what this reminds me of....? Life. We often take life too seriously and try to control everything. We try to be perfect and find success and attain perfection on our own as best we can. (*Guilty.*) But does it ever really work? As soon as we complete one project, another one arises. Where is our Trust in God to lead us through the busy times, the difficult times, and even the great times? As Tenth Avenue North sings, "Why are you striving these days? Why are you trying to earn grace? ... Why are you looking for love? Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough? To where will you go, child, tell me where will you run, to where will you run..." God is enough. His Grace is a free gift, new life for everyone. We can't earn it! It's a gift! As my clarinet teacher has said, "You know it. Relax and let the air do the work." Wisdom. Some things are out of our control. But isn't that better? More exciting? In terms of life, I am thankful that my life is out of my hands and in God's. And why should I try to take it back? He knows sooo much better! (Jeremiah 29:11) When we try tooooo hard to do everything right, we either fail at some of the aspects or overwork and stress ourselves out so that we freak out or lose control. We need to let go and let God. Relax. What about "eye contact"? Keep your eyes on the Lord. We still need clear focus on Him, but on that One thing, not 50 little "requirements for success". "Fix your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith..." (part of Hebrews 12:1-2)... and then "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Exodus 14:14). Tenth Ave's song continues, "And I'll be by your side Wherever you fall In the dead of night Whenever you call And please don't fight These hands that are holding you My hands are holding you." Don't lose focus on the One thing that's really important, but then Trust the Holy Spirit to move. In terms of golf, keep your eye on the ball, and trust yourself to know what else to do. (My hand position has morphed into something way different than what my instructor taught me, but it still works out when I relax rather than trying to manipulate it). Clarinet? One thing at a time, but always stay focused, while relaxing and letting the air carry the weight. God longs to carry you. Let Him help you today. :) "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." - 1 Peter 5:7 (NLT) "But Moses said to the people, "Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever." - Exodus 14:13 (NASB) "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment