Everything is relative.
Is it warm out today? Yeah, compared to yesterday... (...compared to the summer's 90s? No, it's brisk!)
Is my radio too loud? No, I always blast mine.
Can you afford this $100 textbook? Yeah, I have to get it.
What about getting ice cream? No, that's a rip off! I don't have money for that! ($4)
Are you good at science? Well, compared to a Bio major, no; compared to a 7th grader, yes.
AH! Do you ever feel like it's eating you alive? WHY do we always try to measure ourselves and our worth compared to other people instead of just being who we are?
It's all over in our world.
"Compare and Contrast these characters", "Which one of these is not like the others?" - I suppose it does help the brain make connections and learn new things ... but what happens when we do it with people?
"I thought I was in good shape, but she runs every day, and I only run 3 times a week."
"She didn't start her project yet either, so I'm good to go."
"Everyone but me has a boyfriend/girlfriend...so what's wrong with me?"
"I have 3rd part in band- I guess that means I suck."
"Uh oh, did anyone else not wear make-up today? Dang it, I stick out."
"Even if I ... [lie, cheat, gossip, insert-"less-noticeable"-sin-here] I'm 'good' because at least I don't ____ [party, go too far with my significant other, steal, etc.] like so-and-so does."
(***random examples I have heard from people or theoretically thought up***)
Yikes! It eats us up and licks the plate along with it! Comparing ourselves to others makes us a little too aware of our perceived shortcomings and/or our perceived accomplishments and tries to foster conformity above expressing the unique YOU that you are!
But God doesn't see us by how we "measure up" to the other people around us. If He did, we would feel pretty stuck-up and proud of ourselves when another person stumbles and pretty ashamed when another person does something good or stands up for Christ or something. Is that how we want to live??? Only succeeding when our brother fails? But what in the world does that do to build up Unity among people?? Even within the Body of Christ, the brotherhood and sisterhood that connects all who follow Jesus.
Not gonna lie, I struggle with this a lot. I've also wanted to be good, to do the right things, to obey God, yes, but also to win people's approval. I am a Words of Affirmation person, I love encouraging others, and words of encouragement brighten my heart. So I often over-seek approval from others or try to impress people instead of living to please God.
"10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." - Galatians 1:10
This may stem from good -- I have so much joy, and I want everyone to be happy! That's good! BUT I shouldn't change who I truly am, who God created me to be, to please other people or conform to society's definitions of "worthy" over God's, the One who knows me better than I know myself, loves me wholly and unconditionally no matter what, made me unique to serve Him in ways unique to me, and judges our hearts.
So why do I sometimes look at how skinny others are and look down on myself? Why do I worry before I have to share Jesus with people or speak in front of a large group? Why do I justify my actions based on the fact that other people did them and it worked out? (whether spiritual things or general life things). (I won a music scholarship, but others who did are all performance majors; does that mean I have to or "am supposed to" be a performance major? But I think I want to teach. Comparison even messes with my own opinions!)
Be who you are. Embrace the you that you want to be, that you are created to be! :) Think about what brings you delight -- a less popular hobby? Quirky jokes (puns ;)? Writing blogs? Wearing neon colors? Getting super excited about concerts? Stand up for it! God made us who we are for a reason, and if you don't know yourself yet, what you are truly like apart from the influences of the world and others, ask the Creator, the One that knows every hair on your head and everything you'll ever do in your life. The One who made you and knows why He made you YOU! Our worth is in Christ alone. It's so freeing. Live it. :)
"12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
3 For by the grace given me
I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than
you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in
accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully."
- Romans 12:1-7
"Be Somebody", the song by Thousand Foot Krutch, also hits me soooo much!! Look it up!
No comments:
Post a Comment