Steph O's Blog

Sharing words God has taught me on this crazy journey through life, hoping they can shed light to your path!

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path"
- Psalm 119:105 (KJV)

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Where I'm From



I am from the blue house
down the curving road,
The humble house but with five cars
With big trees to enclose them all.

I am from overflowing bookshelves
Open windows
to see the sunset behind the lawn

I am from evenings laughing on the deck,
grilling food, overhearing bits from the nearby football game
Until we looked up and spotted the Big Dipper

Overlooking the swing set,
the center of the large backyard,
that once became headquarters
for my childhood imagination.

I am from the wiffle ball stadium,
When you look closely you can see,
The bases: three trees and a sandbox,
Until the roof gutters catch a foul ball
Or the game ends disputing a close call.

From bike rides up to the white house,
or to Dahl’s for a free cookie,
With a song always in my heart,
to the lull of the shower,
the drone of the mower,
(Or Dad’s attempts at rocking!)

I am from Grandma O’s kind
A love for teaching,
a flute for playing,
a heart for the Lord
My father’s humor and stature,
My mother’s music and compassion.
My brother’s loyalty to his Hawkeyes
and his diving board adventure.

I am from Gull Lake sunsets,
Belonging there more ways than one,
Admiring the beauty of Creation,
and the joy I’ve truly found.

I am from late night sleepovers,
Friends or cousins,
Playing cards or dominoes,
Writing songs or playing dolls,
Eating green bean casserole.
Or sweets, my cup of tea,
(or should I say, hot chocolate)
Kringle and fruit salad,
Or maybe, just my dad’s small-medium of mint-chip at midnight,

Licking the bowl, I learned from him well,
Rinsing a milk glass twice.
While the animals all face the TV
and the spices face front.

Covered in love and possibilities,
Half-written stories and unfinished projects,
A pool table, I mean, a storage table
A closet lined with stacks and stacks of photo albums
Based on memories uncontained
A quirky style, some may say.
An unforgettable bunch.


It may not be the best of all lifestyles in the world …

… But only one is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- I had to write this for a class, but I like how many references found their way into it!  Enjoy!!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the part about the Wiffleball Stadium. "When you look closely you can see the bases: three trees and a sandbox."

    ReplyDelete