“For we speak as messengers
approved by God to be entrusted with the Good News. Our purpose is to please
God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts.”
– 1 Thessalonians 2:4
I like encouragement. Words of Affirmation is one of my strongest
love languages. It warms my heart when I
can encourage others and when others encourage me.
No big deal, right? What’s wrong with that?
Nothing, really… until it becomes
an addiction.
If you hang on someone’s every
word and only find your worth and contentment when someone else approves of you
or your performance. When the only cure
to your insecurity is found in pleasing people.
When your happiness depends on others’ acceptance.
In the music major world, this
can become difficult when much of your curriculum is based on performing and
listening to the praise and constructive criticism of your listeners.
I have slowly gotten better at
this over the last three years in college in terms of my clarinet
performing. Even if I have a bad day or
week or month, I know that I am still a musician, and I don’t need others to
reassure me that I am.
But … lately I’ve been feeding on
the approval for my teaching. I have not
had a ton of experience teaching in the past or a whole lot of feedback on my work,
so when I do get lots of encouragement, I accept it joyfully (which is good, I
think) but I also spend too much time dwelling on it. In the same way, some of my friends have had
good days when a professor likes their playing and felt defeated when the
instructor disapproves. I’ve been
there. But should we really place the
weight of our day on what someone else thinks?
What about what we think? Or what
God thinks?
“Can I lose my need impress?
If you want the truth I need to confess…
If you want the truth I need to confess…
I’m not alright, I’m broken
inside
And all I go through, it leads me
to You” – Sanctus Real (I’m Not Alright)
(Here’s the rest of the song, if you’re interested):
"If weakness is a wound that no
one wants to speak of
Then "cool" is just how far we have to fall
I am not immune, I only want to be loved
But I feel safe behind the firewall
Burn away the pride
Bring me to my weakness
Until everything I hide behind is gone
And when I'm open wide with nothing left to cling to
Only you are there to lead me on.
Honestly, I'm not that strong…
I'm not alright... that's why I need you."
Then "cool" is just how far we have to fall
I am not immune, I only want to be loved
But I feel safe behind the firewall
Burn away the pride
Bring me to my weakness
Until everything I hide behind is gone
And when I'm open wide with nothing left to cling to
Only you are there to lead me on.
Honestly, I'm not that strong…
I'm not alright... that's why I need you."
When we let go of the
overwhelming desire for a person’s approval, we are free to have joy and peace
every day; peace and joy that are not dependent on circumstances. True joy that is found only in our perfect
Lord.
“I will see you
again and you will rejoice, and no one
will take away your joy.”
– John 16:22b
“Peace I leave
with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do
not let your
hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” – John 14:27
“I have told you
these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will
have trouble.
But take heart! I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
Through the perfect sacrifice of
Jesus for all our sins, today and yesterday and tomorrow and forever, we always
have the approval of God. Not based on
what we did or didn’t do, but freely by His gift of new life through the cross,
we are made right with God, approved for eternal life with Him! Even though our best efforts of trying to
succeed in life may never be enough for some people’s standards, win or lose we
are loved and approved by God, because of His eternal goodness! :)
And if we have the approval of
God, why should we fear what man might say to us???
Wow, I found this
exact phrase in Scripture three times – must be important or something! :)
“In my anguish I cried to the
Lord, and he answered by setting me free.
The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” – Psalm 118:5-6
“Keep your lives free from the
love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never
will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’
So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be
afraid. What can man do to me?” –
Hebrews 13:5-6
“In God I trust; I will not be
afraid. What can man do to me?” – Psalm 56:11
The message is clear. God is helping us and worthy of our
trust. He is always with us and fighting
on our side. Even when we mess up, He
will pick us back up if we trust in Him.
(“What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for
us, who can ever be against us? – Romans 8:31)
:) We never have to be afraid or
worry about earning someone’s approval, because if we give our all and do our
best, even if we never win or never have enough to give, God always loves us
and approves of us. How amazing! Now to Trust that ever-present Truth and live
life fully, humbly but confidently (like in teaching!) and be thankful when
others approve, but truly secure in God’s heart and not relying on worldly success.
“Am I now trying to win the
approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still
trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” – Galatians 1:10
--- We don’t want our own
insecurity or fear or obsession with people’s acceptance to get in the way of
our ministry for the Lord either.
Serve and love Him freely because
He first loved us.
I hope all this Scripture speaks
for itself. Live it. You won’t regret it. :)
Psalm 57:7 “My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is
steadfast; I will sing and make music.”
No comments:
Post a Comment