Steph O's Blog

Sharing words God has taught me on this crazy journey through life, hoping they can shed light to your path!

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path"
- Psalm 119:105 (KJV)

Monday, June 2, 2014

A Wordy Kind of Love


After living in the Southwest for almost five months, I’ve noticed that people here seem to be a lot more open, honest, vocal, than where I grew up in Iowa.  It could just be grad school, but I think it’s more a part of the “laid-back culture.”  I find myself thinking, Wow, are we really talking about this?  Haha!

Honestly though, I love it.  I think it’s much easier to form relationships when you’re willing to express yourself, share your opinions, and simply be honest.  And there’s less fear of passive aggressiveness or manipulation – everyone just says what they think.  I suppose that could backfire (if speaking before thinking), but the groups I’ve found have been really accepting, not taking things too personally or judging, and it inspires in us confidence to just be who we are.

* * *

Recently, a lot of my friends have been looking into the “Five Love Languages” and taking the online quiz (http://www.5lovelanguages.com/) to see in which way they feel loved and show love to others.  If you’ve never heard of them, you should check out the website – I find it interesting!  Sometimes it can explain what things mean a lot to you, what things hurt, and the reasons behind some of your reactions.

The Five Love Languages are Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Physical Touch, Quality Time, and Receiving Gifts.  Just think- which one do you think makes you feel the most loved?  I love the little descriptions on the website – especially after you take the quiz and click “unsure of your results?” and it gives little scenarios – HA so true.  Anyway-

A few of my closest friends have Quality Time (QT) as their primary love language.  Awesome, right?  They feel loved just by spending time with people!  Every love language seems to have strengths and weaknesses, especially when interacting with others with different love languages.  For example, if someone cancels or reschedules plans with a QT person, that sometimes makes them feel unloved, unworthy of someone else’s time … even though it might’ve been nothing.  Or if you’re texting while hanging out with a QT friend and don’t give them your full attention, or if you invite lots of other people to come to the hang-out too, it might not show love to the QT person as much.

That’s just an example, because I have experienced some of those things firsthand.

Though QT and Physical Touch tied for a close second, my primary love language is Words of Affirmation.  Aka Words of Encouragement.  Compliments.  When I first took the quiz, I felt a tiny bit bad…. So I need people to tell me I’m nice or pretty or funny in order to feel loved?  Lame!  But I realized that every love language is good, and different, and that’s great!  For me, it means the WORLD if someone makes me a homemade card, or looks me in the eyes and tells me I performed well or am a good friend or something … I was that kid that LOVED yearbook-signing at the end of the school year, to see the funny memories and momentos from friends … but also to be built up, to feel valuable and loved.

I do absolutely LOVE quality time with friends.  That is the best!  But some of things I remember most are the words my friends and family have spoken to me.  Whether they mean it to be impactful or not, I remember the encouragement—just the other day, a friend said to me, “Yeah!  Anyone can come to these parties, and it’s totally fine if you join us-  people like you.”  Aww, really?!  My bus driver told me, “You are so bubbly, and you light up the room whenever you walk in!”  :)  A QT friend might think, Sweet!  Thanks! and move on.  But I remember the words.  Also, if I haven’t seen a friend in a long time, but they call me and we still have a great conversation and encourage each other, I typically feel great about our friendship, even if we haven’t physically seen each other in months.

Reversely, the way you receive love is also often the way you show it most to others.  I LOVE writing people thank-you notes or cheering people up when they’ve had a bad day. …or writing blog posts!...  Because words mean a lot to me, I LOVE encouraging my friends too.  I realized I often compliment people subconsciously – I guess that’s sort of how my brain and heart are wired.  A couple weeks ago at church, I took a spiritual gifts quiz, and “encourager” is actually one of my spiritual gifts too! – cool how that connects!  (See Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4.)

* * *

Yet here, my friend, is the drawback of feeding on words of affirmation.  (Like I said, I think every love language has a weakness.)  [Sidenote- it was eye-opening one time when my best high-school friend said, “I think our biggest strength can also be our greatest weakness.  I love getting real with people, opening up about the vulnerable stuff, but it’s also hard for me to open up with new people.  For you, you are incredible at encouraging other people, but then you also need encouragement/affirmation in return, right?”  Right!]

Two problems
1)       If I don’t get any words of encouragement for a while, maybe just because it doesn’t come up or something, sometimes I question if I’m doing the right thing or if I’m worth it or if people truly like me as a friend (don’t worry- I’m not usually that insecure, but sometimes it pops up!)  I always feel like I need reassurance before I can make a big decision … or even somewhat smaller ones.  “Mom, are you sure I should buy this shirt?  It’s kind of expensive…”  “I don’t know where I should go to college!  [So-and-so] said I should go [here] but [other so-and-so] said I shouldn’t…” --- Bottom line:  Sometimes I let other people’s words and opinions have too much value.  Or you know, non- Words of Aff people may spout something out that they don’t really mean, and it could hurt.  That hit me hard in middle school.  Now I’m a lot better at recognizing if they really mean it and brushing things off, and that’s only one person’s opinion anyway… hold that thought – I’ll come back to it.
2)      Second problem:  If someone gives me a basket-full of words of encouragement … sometimes my heart responds by saying, “I LIKE YOU!!!” … even if they don’t mean anything beyond a simple compliment, or if I don’t “like like” them as much as I like the act of being loved … which can apply to any love language BY the way…  People like attention.  It’s human nature.  If someone looks me in the eye and says, “Steph.  Wow, you’ve got this.  You’ve got a heart to teach kids, which is so cool.  Keep doing what you’re doing.”  I remember that.  Snapshot.  Hang it on the wall.  Ah “he likes me”! … but not necessarily…

Here’s the verdict, friends.  Words are great, and I’m so excited that encouraging can be both my love language and one of my spiritual gifts.  BUT I’ve learned, the hard way and the easy way, you can’t let other people define your worth.  For good or for bad!  And it’s not worth it to live your life just to please other people, or to get a good response from them.

How overwhelming that would be, to constantly fight to act just the right way in each situation, the way those certain people you’re around expect you to act in order to win their approval.  For what gain?  The world’s affirmation?  Obviously every friendship involves a little give and take, compromise, but don’t change who you truly are just to fit in or be built up by the people around you.

“Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God?”

“What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?  Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?” – Matthew 16:26

As friends, we should also try to become aware of our friends’ love languages and show we care about them in ways that are meaningful to them, as well as ways that are meaningful to us.  I promise you it will bless you in return.  Make dinner for someone (acts of service), or call an old friend just to talk (QT).  Buy a loved one flowers for no reason (gifts), write an encouraging note on the fridge for your roommate (words), or give a hug (touch).  I LOVE that whenever we give of ourselves selflessly, especially to love another, we are blessed in return.  For us words of aff people, Ephesians 4:29 comes to mind … “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”  Don’t let harsh words or ignoring someone destroy a friendship.  Even if the statement, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me,” is true for you, words can be powerful, so use them wisely.  :)

* * *

I have been thinking about writing this blog post for a long time.  God has revealed to me the pros and cons of my love language, with emphasis on the unfortunate connections between words of aff and people-pleasing.  My worth comes from God, not man.  I should not live to please people at the expense of not pleasing the one true God.  And you know what else?  My worth doesn’t even come from what I do or did or didn’t do; I am worth dying for, I am worth God’s time and love simply because He created me, He loves me, He died for me.  AND THAT SAME TRUTH IS TRUE FOR YOU TOO!  What a gift!!  Even if a friend betrays you, if someone never gives you an explanation for their wrong actions, if someone never apologizes or forgives you … you will be ok, you are loved, you are strengthened, and you can move forward, because the God who created the world AND every hair on your head loves you more than you could ever know and gives you a life with a particular purpose- one He trusts you to complete.  Will you accept His love and take His offer?  He has SO much LIFE to offer you, true life, the best you could have imagined, if you only give your trust to Him and let Him work in your life and heart.  He MADE your heart – He knows it perfectly and wants to bless you.  If that’s the case, why should anyone’s opinions of you matter more than God’s??  God wants to call you a beloved son or daughter of the King.  Will you let Him?

“So God created man in His own [perfect] image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. … God saw all that He had made, and it was very good.” – Genesis 1:27, 31A

^ You are very good, just the way you are, just as God created you to be!  You are already worthy because God makes you worthy.  He made you worthy when He died in your place and now sees Christ and not your sin when He looks at you.  How amazing!  You don’t need people to tell you you are worthy.  It’s nice, but it shouldn’t become the idol that you live for.

“Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God?  Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” – Galatians 1:10

I wasn’t thinking of including this next verse, but I came across it when I was reading this morning, and I think it also connects to the danger of living only to please people:  “Then Saul said to Samuel, ‘I have sinned.  I violated the Lord’s command and your instructions.  I was afraid of the people and so I gave in to them.” – 1 Samuel 15:24

A final passage on the power of words and the wildness of the “tongue” is in James 3:5-11.

* * *

Conclusion.
Words, words, words … explains why I love blogging, word games (bananagrams is my friends’ and my latest obsession!), or why I have used up fifty prayer journals, or my need to document everything from daily highlights to to-do lists to weekly meals, or the reason my dumb-phone’s text-message inbox was always full … gotta save the nice or memorable ones!  Heehee.  Find out your love language, and then make the most of it!  Go LOVE!

1 comment:

  1. Great post (feel encouraged and loved by this comment).

    ReplyDelete