Christmas Break has been awesome. Lots of free time to read, scrapbook, spend time with my family and a few friends, celebrate Jesus' birth in a new and fresh way than ever before. Not only remembering that incredible moment in history, but seeing how He brought new birth into our lives.
Break also gives me a lot of time to think, reflect, pray, journal. I love it. I've been reading from Ruth in the Bible, as well as The Sacred Acre about Ed Thomas, the inspirational Parkersburg coach who died, and Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo. I'm also realizing how short life is and how close heaven is. I keep running into the words of the song "Blink" by Revive, like in Psalm 90:12 - "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Later it says, "Take in all the colors before they fade to gray" and "When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run. The only thing that matters is how we have loved."
I don't know about you, but I take soo much for granted. I think I have strong faith, but would I be shaken if something really terrible happened to me? I hope not... but it's hard to know. I trust God! The world is broken, but God will always come through for good - Romans 8:28. ("All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purposes"). I've seen the fruit that comes out of bad situations -- community, people seeing Christ, growth in hope and appreciating each day as a gift and the little blessings. I admire those who go through huge losses and use their strong trust in God to stay strong and calm in the biggest of storms. They are such a light of HOPE in GOD to the broken world around them. (e.g. Ed Thomas' family) - He inspired soo many people, and now more people are coming to Christ because of his legacy, also because his name is more known due to the terrible tragedy of his death. And his family's forgiveness and trust speak volumes to those around them.
I also love Ruth's quiet strength. If you haven't read the book of Ruth, you should look it up. It's only 4 short chapters - less than 5 pages. She has strong faith, confidence, and trust in God, but she doesn't let it turn into pride. Instead, she quietly, humbly, obediently follows God in every situation and shows kindness consistently to everyone she encounters. Wow. On an average-to-good day, I might be one or the other: excited for Christ but kind of loud and hasty and boastful, OR self-conscious, not showing who I am, and worried what others will think of me. Stupid, I know, but I subconsciously fall into it. I aspire to live humbly and at peace with who God made me and where He placed me, trusting Him to live out through me without desiring any of the credit for His good work through me.
For example: working at Target. My first day back, I was sort of self-conscious / quiet at first, because I haven't worked since May and hardly knew anyone and didn't know where anything was. As the night went on, I got to work in areas I knew more about and got to know some new people that were younger than me. Being comfortable and confident was easy. Hopefully it didn't turn into pride. What a balance. You go, Ruth!
I feel like it's a lot easier to be me, the "me" God created me to be, in a safe environment like at Riverside or with my closest friends/family members, where people won't judge. BUT I shouldn't be ashamed if my quirks or beliefs make me stand out from the world -- we are not normal! We are not of this world. John 17. All of John 17 is amazing, Jesus' prayer for us (the disciples then AND future believers - US!), but here's a snippet-
"14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by[d] the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."
We are living in light of eternity. That said, we should live each day intentionally, with purpose, wherever God has placed us. We have a limited time on earth - lets live it with God's eyes and ears to be light to the broken world around us! I also love the song "Love in Your Arms" by EleventySeven :) Be you. Be free to accept Christ's LOVE for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQDf5Sd1_B0
Sorry this post is kind of scatter-brained. I just want to share the awesome things God has been showing me as they come to mind. :)
A last thing to leave you with -- these two truths keep showing up everywhere:
Never be afraid.
Love never fails.
Psalm 90:14 "Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." Word. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment