Today I started reading the book of Philippians, in which Paul finds true joy in Christ that is not dependent on his circumstances. Whether he was living the abundant life or in prison for his faith, he found joy in his relationship with Christ and in the knowledge that Christ saved him for eternity, no matter what happens on this earth. (There is a difference between joy and happiness - you may not always be super happy with your circumstances, but Christ's sacrifice and resurrection can take away any feeling of utter hopelessness).
Today there were some football bowl games. Some people I know make their joy completely contingent on their sports teams or alcohol or whatever they think will satisfy them. Granted, it was late at night, when most normal people (cough- unlike me- I thrive at night ;) are tired and more edgy. But my heart just sighs and goes out to them!! Those things will never satisfy you completely! The difference between if you're full of joy or profusely mad or down cannot depend on uncontrollable worldly things! How can you ever feel at peace? Life is not over if your favorite team loses. You don't have to escape to another world by watching a love, chick-flick movie (*guilty*) or eat dessert (*guuuilty*) to feel great. Nothing can satisfy us permanently but Christ and His unfailing love. There is sooo much hope in Him that never ends. Don't put your hope in man; you will be disappointed.
11b "'I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him [Christ] who gives me strength.'"
- Philippians 4:11b-13
7 "'But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in[a] Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.'"
- Philippians 3:7-14
(This is deep stuff...I should go more into depth later)
And please don't take my Savior's name in vain while watching these sports. Thank you.
Stacie Orrico: ...
"I've got it all, but I feel so deprived
I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside
Tell me what is this thing that I feel like I'm missing
And why can't I let it go
There's gotta be more to life...
Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me
Cause the more that I'm...
Trippin' out thinkin' there must be more to life
Well it's life, but I'm sure... There's gotta be more"
No comments:
Post a Comment